Saturday, June 16, 2012

JAUNDA LAZARUS MHLANGA: THE UNSUNG HERO

I am finding it difficult to understand the central paradox to the death of my grand father JLB Mhlanga who died at the hands of the dogs of war. Why he died before witnessing the dawn of a new era in Zimbabwean politics is a fundamental question which begs for an answer. To understand that, one would need to look at how he lived, only then one will discover a life that  eerily echoed the fortunes of this country. It is difficult to understand why this man who had so much to live for had to die. My grandpa's death left a big hole not only in my life but in the lives of the Bankwe people as well.

I was doing my Lowe Six when fateful phone call from a relative  came, informing me that my grandpa had died at Mnene Hospital, in Belingwe. I couldn't  believe the news and immediately proceeded to the bus-stop to look for transport to Matabo where my grandpa was going to be laid to rest. A lot of questions wrecked havoc in my mind and then i was too yound to question such things and i therefore left everything to the elders. It was beyond any reasonable doubt that politics had dealt a cruel and final blow to a man who had lived a life that made him a fundi in so many areas, and yet remained the epitomy of humility. It all began when my grandpa was seeking re-election as the Council Chairman of Mberengwa Rural District Council against Ben Mataga. Mataga couldnot stomach the idea of contesting against a well-known and competent Mhlanga and at one point swore that Mhlanga wouldn't see the next day if he challenged him in the election.

At the time of his death Mr. Mhlanga was already in a state of acute distress, walking with great difficulty and emotionally fragile. Death was starring at him in the face and everything he tried to fend it off had failed. What has struck me about my grandfather's death is the deafening silence about its cause. I know and rightly so that he was swept away by the murky waters of politics... I have no kind words for ZANU PF for taking away such an enterprising life.
Mr. Mhlanga's death triggered a host of worries and fears in me. I felt helpless and insecure.  His death  triggered the fear of me having to face life without him. He was my source of inspiration, my advisor and above all my mentor.

ZANU PF owes a debt to my grandpa that they cannot ever fully repay. I will always honour his sacrifice for the betterment of our lives as a family and for the betterment of Zimbabwe. All i have to do is to honor it in my  own life by holding the memories close to my heart, and heeding the example he set.



Never does one feel oneself so utterly helpless as in trying to speak comfort for great bereavement.
I will not try it... Time is the only comforter for the loss of my grandpa. Rest in eternal Peace Mr. Mhlanga!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment